David's Reviews > Portrait of a Spy

Portrait of a Spy by Daniel Silva

Nov 02, 11

bookshelves: 2011, audiobooks
Read from October 28 to November 02, 2011

My rating of 3 stars is partly based on the fact that this book reads as a same-old thing from Daniel Silva. It's not that it's bad, and it's even up to date (including Osama's death in the plot); Yet it feels like no new ground has been treaded. It's the same exposition, the same means of giving Gabriel an assignment, and it involves terrorism. Again, if you've not read this a dozen times already from Silva, then by all means read this and enjoy.

I said my rating is partly based on that, it's mostly based on me. 2011 is the year that I seem to have grown weary of series books as a whole. As a reader, I've come to find that there's a point (maybe an average of 4 or 5 books) where a series has to change its formula, or come up with a truly special plot. Otherwise, it's bordering on tedium. I've discovered this with James Lee Burke, John Sandford, Randy Wayne White, Alan Bradley, etc. All of the books are good, but they've ceased to impress. There are some exceptional series out there still going, but they are not the norm. The bad thing about we obsessive readers with series is that we feel COMPELLED to keep reading and the authors know this...so they keep writing them. The Allon series just seems tired to me. I was pleased last year that Allon had finally returned to Cornwall and gotten back into art restoration. One novel later, that seems so worn out.

Recommended for those who want to sample Silva's writing, and for die-hard fans. Fans on the fence might considering jumping off here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Portrait of a Spy.