Caitlin Peterson's Reviews > Obsidian

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

2013137
Dec 05, 11

Read in November, 2011

Katy is about to start her senior year when her mother decides to move them from sunny Florida to a small town in West Virginia. Still grieving her father's death, Katy's mom decided they needed a fresh start away from the memories. In an attempt to make friends, Katy knocks on the door of her neighbor, only to be met with the most arrogant, awful boy she's ever met. Before she can even say hello, he insults her and it's all Katy can do to keep herself from slugging him. But oh, is he gorgeous. Daemon has an aversion to wearing t-shirts (thank heavens!), and while she mentally drools over his chiseled chest and toned arms, she can't get past his less than charming personality.

The only good thing about Daemon is his twin sister, Dee. Katy and Dee meet by chance in the grocery store and immediately click. However, every time Katy and Dee hang out Daemon somehow manages to show up and spoil things. Over time, Katy notices odd things about the siblings. They seem to be keeping secrets, but Katy can't determine what they are. After a particularly gruesome show down between Daemon and Katy, she accidentally runs in front of a truck and is seconds away from being killed when Daemon suddenly stops time. Daemon saves her life, but it comes with a price. Daemon's enemies are closing in, and if Katy wants to stay alive she and Daemon must become very cozy. If only she didn't want to kill him every moment they're together.

My favorite kind of love story is when the couple absolutely loathes each other when they first meet and the love builds slowly over time. Daemon and Katy have explosive chemistry, and it's so entertaining to watch them go at each other. Daemon is the kind of boy you love to hate. Or is it hate to love? He's obnoxious and rude and he treats Katy abominably for the most part. He has moments though. Moments where we get small glimpses into who he really is behind the arrogant facade. Moments that make me want to rub myself all over him (don't judge, you'd want do it too), where the second before I wanted to slap him. Oh, did I mention he's completely and utterly gorgeous? The cover model really doesn't do him justice. He's way better lookin' in my head than that guy is. Sorry Mr. Cover Model.

Katy is an equally wonderful character. I'm one to like the heroes better than the heroines, but she held her own in this book. She doesn't take any of Daemon's crap, she's fiercely loyal to Dee and she doesn't make stupid decisions that make my eyes roll out of my sockets. Plus, she's a book blogger. I had to giggle at all the mentions of the meme posts and receiving review copies in the mail. I can completely relate with that.

The story itself was completely captivating. While my favorite parts were the show downs between Daemon and Katy, the mystery and the sci-fi aspect of it was interesting as well. It was refreshing to take a break from vampires and werewolves and dig into something new. The world building was easy to follow and I wasn't overwhelmed in details.

My Summary: Obsidian was a perfect example of why I love to read. It was truly a pleasure to read this book. I began the book excited and it only grew as I continued to read. I'm only cranky about the fact that I have to wait for the next book. Alas, Obsidian isn't even out yet so I have awhile to wait. Shoot. Daemon and Katy are wonderful, the author did a superb job on the story and I loved it so much that I bought her other book, Half-Blood, and read that the very next day. I am proud to say I am Jennifer Armentrout's newest, possibly biggest, fan-girl and will read anything she writes.

My Rating: A+

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Obsidian.