Andrea (Cozy Up With A Good Read)'s Reviews > Red Means Run

Jan 09, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, books-i-own
Read from December 20, 2011 to January 02, 2012

This review can be found on Cozy Up With A Good Read

I found this to be an interesting crime/mystery book by a Canadian (something I have not read before to be honest). I really enjoyed the characters that we get to meet throughout the story, especially Virgil Cain himself. He is a sarcastic guy and brings a touch of humour to the book. I enjoyed the idea of Virgil trying to find the killer when everyone already believes for him to be the killer, it always makes for an interesting story.

The problem I found with this book, though, was that there was more focus on Virgil escaping police custody and him just trying to keep everyone off his track. The focus of the story is everyone trying to find him rather than anyone trying to find reason that he may not be the killer. It took too long to get around to anyone looking for clues for a different killer (including Virgil himself).

Another issue I had was that the main cop leading the investigation (Joe Brady) jumps the gun for a cop right at the beginning in arresting Virgil. I just thought there would be a little more search into another suspect but that doesn't come until closer to the very end of the book.

With that being said I enjoyed a lot of things about this book. The mystery of it was written well and Brad Smith does a good job of having you guessing throughout the entire story. I did enjoy the secondary character of Mary, who is a moral character and yet she is so adorable. At the beginning I found there were a lot of characters and different stories to follow, but I did understand they would all come together eventually (which they do at the end). And when they do come together it was actually a nice surprise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Means Run.

01/02/2012 page 72