Andrea's Reviews > Forgotten Bookmarks: A Bookseller's Collection of Odd Things Lost Between the Pages

Forgotten Bookmarks by Michael Popek

Nov 30, 11

bookshelves: first-read
Read from November 29 to 30, 2011 — I own a copy

I really liked this collection of lost things. I found myself laughing out loud and being nostalgic about the stories of some of the owners of these things. I would like to know what happened to them and it would be a very interesting source of stories. It is really inspiring to know that books, not only hold the past within their pages metaphorically but also literally.

The formatting of the book is well done. The design of it is excellent, it is interactive without being overwhelming. I loved being able to see the original letters up close. Some of the pictures where difficult to make out in the printing paper and I think only one letter had the names of the people involved taken out yet I could make them out very easily and one of them was still in the text (the letter was hilarious though). Sometimes I would have liked to see the books in which the bookmark was found first because in some instances it was funny to see that a hate letter was found in a book about babies and so on and so the comical effect was lost from time to time. Overall, it was well done and enjoyable and the distribution of images, bookcovers and text was well distributed and it was easy to take everything in.

Contentwise, I really think this collection is really fantastic. It is easy to read since you are not really "reading" but observing and it is enjoyable. I have found my share of interesting stuff in used books or at the library and I collect them as well. I think is genius that he decided to share it with the rest of the world, especially since he is in contact with used books at all times. I envy Popek, he has like the best job ever - according to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forgotten Bookmarks.

11/30/2011 page 116
64.0% "I too have found the strangest things when I take out books from the library or used bookstores and I love collecting them so I am loving everypage of it!"