Tina's Reviews > The Passion

The Passion by Jeanette Winterson

Oct 30, 11

Read from October 28 to 30, 2011, read count: 1

Winterson is always able to say so much with so little. Her books are usually so short and with so many page breaks and paragraphs that you feel as if you barely read at all. But each sentence of a Winterson novel holds so much symbolism and emotion that the experience doesn't feel rushed – it lasts long after you finish the final page. Her good novels anyway. This was a good one. Henri was a little wimpy but likeable, especially because he was a genuine good guy and a romantic. Villanelle was also likable albeit a little insane at times. Winterson’s stories are usually allegories, so I would gather without doing any further research or a close reading that the Napoleon hero-worship aspect had something to do with Thatcher. I guess what I liked so much about this book was the possibilities for analysis it provides. I also love Winterson because she's so sexually honest and blunt. I love her gender-bending, homosexual themes, and her constant focus on love and what it means. People need to be more sexually open these days. I think I also love Winterson because her characters are flawed, like Henri and Villanelle, who don't know what to do with their hearts and make human decisions. Not everything works out, and that's realistic, which I enjoy. Hell, I love unrequited and tragic romance. I also enjoy Winterson's mysticism (only hints of it in this novel though).

Out of under 200 pages, I found five quotes I liked, which is another major reason why I've read almost all of Winterson's novels. "You see, I like passion, I like to be among the desperate."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Passion.

10/28/2011 page 100
57.0% "I need to get some other book done while IJ is still sucking away my time."