Claire Capul's Reviews > The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

Oct 28, 11

bookshelves: own

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Catcher in the Rye.

Quotes Claire Liked

J.D. Salinger
“It was that kind of a crazy afternoon, terrifically cold, and no sun out or anything, and you felt like you were disappearing every time you crossed a road.”

J.D. Salinger
“It's funny. All you have to do is say something nobody understands and they'll do practically anything you want them to.”

J.D. Salinger
“Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.”

J.D. Salinger
“If a girl looks swell when she meets you, who gives a damn if she's late?”

J.D. Salinger
“Among other things, you'll find that you're not the first person who was ever confused and frightened and even sickened by human behavior. You're by no means alone on that score, you'll be excited and stimulated to know. Many, many men have been just as troubled morally and spiritually as you are right now. Happily, some of them kept records of their troubles. You'll learn from them—if you want to. Just as someday, if you have something to offer, someone will learn something from you. It's a beautiful reciprocal arrangement. And it isn't education. It's history. It's poetry.”

J.D. Salinger
“People never notice anything.”

J.D. Salinger
“All morons hate it when you call them a moron.”

J.D. Salinger
“When I really worry about something, I don’t just fool around. I even have to go to the bathroom when I worry about something. Only, I don’t go. I’m too worried to go. I don’t want to interrupt my worrying to go. ”

J.D. Salinger
“In my mind, I'm probably the biggest sex maniac you ever saw.”
tags: humor