Robert Zimmermann's Reviews > Switched

Switched by Amanda Hocking

Feb 01, 12

Read from January 28 to February 01, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I received an advanced readers' edition of this book through a Good Reads giveaway a few months ago. I had heard about the success Amanda Hocking had with the sale of ebooks and the opportunity to have them in print from a big name publisher. I was intrigued at what made the books so great to have such a fuss about them.
I finally got around to reading this book, after having it for awhile. I haven't read anything in the young adult genre much in general, let alone the fantasy/paranormal realm of it, so going into this book I wasn't sure how I'd react. Part of me through "I better not be reading a book like Twilight," another part of me thought I might just be too old and too male to enjoy a book like this. I was proven wrong. I slowly got through the first few chapters and from then on picked up my pace because the book hooked me in.
Not only is the writing appropriate for teenagers and adults alike, the story itself isn't geared toward one gender or another. There is a little aspect that can make teenage boys say "ew, it's romancy," but that's easy to overlook considering the main character is a teenage girl. It's expected that when a female character falls in love that she will talk about it.
The development of the Trylle race also pleased me. Too many authors stick to the basic races of vampires, werewolves, and witch/wizards from what I see on the market. I don't recall seeing anything about trolls.
Overall this book was a surprise for me to read. It ended too soon for me because when I got to the end I wanted to know what would happen next in Wendy's life. I don't want to spoil the ending by speculating where it could go, but I will say that I definitely will want to grab a copy of the next two books when they are published, though I might not be able to wait and might have to buy the ebooks.
One last thing, even if as a reader you don't think a young adult novel about Trylle is for you, think about it as a story of a young woman who's trying to figure out who she is and where she belongs in the world. That's something almost any reader can enjoy and relate to. The other elements of the book are more secondary to a strong and brilliant coming of age story.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Switched.

01/28/2012 page 61
show 9 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tia (new) - added it

Tia Hey Robert! Thanks for the great review, I saw this book at the bookstore today and I was on the fence. The premise sounded promising but too often I'm disappointed so I thought I'd better check out Goodreads and then decide. Now I have to go back out and get it!