Graham's Reviews > The Dark Tourist

The Dark Tourist by Dom Joly

Nov 12, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, travel
Read from October 20 to 30, 2011, read count: 1

A neat travelogue exploring some of the world's less visited destinations: the author goes out of his way to explore places like Cambodia, North Korea and Iran, all tinged with death and/or oppression. I admire his principles, but this isn't the laugh riot one might expect from the guy behind TRIGGER HAPPY TV.

I'm a massive fan of Joly the actor, especially his TV shows (WORLD SHUT YOUR MOUTH is another favourite). As a writer, though, his imagination has less chance to shine. The humorous situations in which he finds himself and the descriptions of the lesser known locales are fine, but it's the forced attempts at humour which don't really work. One joke, in which Joly's dreams are supposedly influenced by the weird stuff he's experienced during that day, quickly becomes wearying.

Still, I'm making this sound like a bad travel book and it isn't; it's merely that my expectations were too high. Readers will be engaged and perhaps encouraged to avoid stereotyping some of the more dangerous people and places on our planet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Tourist.