Rachel Hirstwood's Reviews > Half Blood Blues

Half Blood Blues by Esi Edugyan

Oct 29, 2011

Read from October 28 to 29, 2011

I really enjoyed this. The entire novel is written with a southern states of america accent (I think - I'm no expert on accents). The Booker list this year seems to have a theme of time running through it. This novel deals with time too. It has a split time frame of a man (Sid Griffiths) looking back on his younger days in Berlin and Paris at the outbreak of the 2nd world war. The "now" period is 1992.

Sid and his friends Chip and Hiero were jazz musicians. As is often the case with very close friendships a lot of rivalry is felt by Sid, especially to Hiero - the boy wonder who plays trumpet 'like a young Louis Armstrong'. As Sid looks back on his life, he sees his failings clearly, and sees the pettiness of his rivalry with Hiero. But it is a retrospective film made about Hiero that brings everything to a head.

Really well written, subjects that I really love, but it just missed the 5 star mark. Maybe I'm being biased because I didn't like the physical book I was reading? I don't know, it was just shy of 5 though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half Blood Blues.

10/28/2011 page 182