Little Miss Geo's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Dec 06, 11

bookshelves: 2011-favourites
Recommended for: fantasy/ya/circus lovers - everyone!
Read from October 28 to November 10, 2011 — I own a copy

What did I think?

So I never get carsick. Ever. I was so engrossed in this book whilst I was reading it on a car trip, not only did I get sick, I didn't notice my boyfriend had changed the radio station, told me he'd buy me a whole box of mangoes or notice that we'd arrived at our destination.

The writing. It's like reading music, no like reading magic. The story winds itself around you until you are completely immersed in the world. The interludes between chapters which describe tents made me love the circus more.

The characters are well developed. Celia and Marco are excellent, as are the twins and Bailey. That's all I will say as I don't want to give anything away.

The story itself isn't slow, but its not fast either. You have to sit back and take your time with this book and just let it flow.

So if you want to read a book in which you will fall in love with the characters, be immersed in a magical world and are willing to wiat for the story to come to you - this is the book for you.

This is my pick of 2011 - the best book I have read all year!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

Quotes Little Miss Geo Liked

Erin Morgenstern
“Secrets have power. And that power diminishes when they are shared, so they are best kept and kept well. Sharing secrets, real secrets, important ones, with even one other person, will change them. Writing them down is worse, because who can tell how many eyes might see them inscribed on paper, no matter how careful you might be with it. So it's really best to keep your secrets when you have them, for their own good, as well as yours.”

Erin Morgenstern
“Stories have changed, my dear boy,” the man in the grey suit says, his voice almost imperceptibly sad. “There are no more battles between good and evil, no monsters to slay, no maidens in need of rescue. Most maidens are perfectly capable of rescuing themselves in my experience, at least the ones worth something, in any case. There are no longer simple tales with quests and beasts and happy endings. The quests lack clarity of goal or path. The beasts take different forms and are difficult to recognize for what they are. And there are never really endings, happy or otherwise. Things keep overlapping and blur, your story is part of your sister’s story is part of many other stories, and there in no telling where any of them may lead. Good and evil are a great deal more complex than a princess and a dragon, or a wolf and a scarlet-clad little girl. And is not the dragon the hero of his own story? Is not the wolf simply acting as a wolf should act? Though perhaps it is a singular wolf who goes to such lengths as to dress as a grandmother to toy with its prey.”

Erin Morgenstern
“Celia, wait,” Marco says, standing but not moving closer to her. “You are breaking my heart. You told me once that I reminded you of your father. That you never wanted to suffer the way your mother did for him, but you are doing exactly that to me. You keep leaving me. You leave me longing for you again and again when I would give anything for you to stay, and it is killing me.”
“It has to kill one of us,” Celia says quietly.”

Erin Morgenstern
“He goes directly to the ballroom, making his way to the center of the dance floor. He takes Celia’s arm, spinning her away from Herr Thiessen.
Marco pulls her to him in an emerald embrace, so close that no one distinction remains between where his suite ends and her gown begins. To Celia there is suddenly no one else in the room as he holds her in his arms. But before she can vocalize her surprise, his lips close over hers and she is lost in wordless bliss.
Marco kisses her as though they are the only two people in the world. The air swirls in a tempest around them, blowing open the glass doors to the garden with a tangle of billowing curtains. Every eye in the ballroom turns in their direction. And then he releases her and walks away. By the time Marco leaves the room, almost everyone has forgotten the incident entirely. It is replaced by a momentary confusion that is blamed on the heat or the excessive amounts of champagne. Herr Thiessen cannot recall why Celia has suddenly stopped dancing, or when her gown has shifted to its current deep green. “Is something wrong?” he asks, when he realizes that she is trembling.”

Erin Morgenstern
“You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone's soul, becomes their blood and self and purpose. That tale will move them and drive them and who knows that they might do because of it, because of your words. That is your role, your gift.”

Erin Morgenstern
“Someone needs to tell those tales. When the battles are fought and won and lost, when the pirates find their treasures and the dragons eat their foes for breakfast with a nice cup of Lapsang souchong, someone needs to tell their bits of overlapping narrative. There's magic in that. It's in the listener, and for each and every ear it will be different, and it will affect them in ways they can never predict. From the mundane to the profound. You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone's soul, becomes their blood and self and purpose. That tale will move them and drive them and who knows what they might do because of it, because of your words. That is your role, your gift. Your sister may be able to see the future, but you yourself can shape it, boy. Do not forget that... there are many kinds of magic, after all.”

10/28/2011 page 101
26.0% "I feel like I'm reading magic. This is awesome!"
11/09/2011 page 387
100.0% "Amazing. So much amazing! Will write a review when I am on a proper computer. This my favourite book of 2011."
show 1 hidden update…