I Read's Reviews > Lagan Love

Lagan Love by Peter  Murphy

Oct 29, 11

bookshelves: first-reads, love
Read from October 28 to 29, 2011

Being born at the time this was set and also never having read a book on Ireland, added a little extra interest for me.

I must admit, at times I felt disorientated, particularly in the first few chapters before a knew the characters because it seemed paragraphs would suddenly start with speech and other people which took a while for to figure out who and where it was.

My favourite bit about this book is it's wonderfully poetic prose and the ability of the author to show ordinary everyday things in a whole new way. There were some unique images created that will stay with me long after having closed this book, if not forever.

It's probably a difficult thing to weave myths and old ways of the past into a more modern time, but I think Murphy succeeded in doing this seamlessly and I enjoyed learning about the cultures.

I feel in order for it to have been a real page turner the plot perhaps needed to be a little stronger, but I think the story was more about Ireland than perhaps the characters so maybe it would have just distracted attention away from the country had it been more fast paced and focused on the fiction. There was an awful lot of sex, possibly too much (?!), but it didn't spoil the story.

The only thing I found a little hard to believe was what appeared to be such a dramatic change of personality in the protagonist, however it is credible, because once people fly the nest they do seem to really become their own person and the time spent away at uni is when personality develops.

On a closing note, there were a couple of facts I queried as I went through, for example, doesn't the moon attract the ocean rather than the other way round? However, I don't want to be a pedant!

Overall a good book which is most importantly different to anything I've read before -always a great quality as it stops me getting stale!

** I received this free of charge through Goodreads First-Reads **

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lagan Love.