Eva's Reviews > Gunn's Golden Rules: Life's Little Lessons for Making It Work

Gunn's Golden Rules by Tim Gunn

Oct 27, 11

A so-so book with some fun along the way. Quotes:

I would spend almost all of my weekly allowance on Legos. And in my youth, Legos weren’t packaged in the prescriptive way they are now; they came as a bunch of anonymous blocks that you would purchase according to size and color, plus doors, windows, and, later—be still my beating heart—roof tiles.

An interviewer once asked me, “Who would win in a fight, you or Michael Kors?” “Oh, that’s easy: Michael Kors,” I said. “Because I’m a hair puller, and he barely has any hair. There’s not enough to hold on to.”

Why should I want you to succeed more than you do?

Children don’t need more friends. They need parents. You’re the adult, and they need you to act like one. And if you think you want your child to be your friend, you need to be in therapy.

My suspicion is that cruelty to those you have power over is insecurity, pure and simple.

There’s no gun being held to your head that says you have to associate with people who make you crazy.

It’s grotesque, and 100 percent not me. I wish I could show it to you so you could see how there is no apartment on the planet, at least none I’d want to visit, where this could possibly look good. It’s ambitiously bad.

Just the way it never rains when you have an umbrella, you’ll never run into people if you look fantastic. But go outside in pajamas, and you’ll run into every ex you have.

I see parents dressing like their children sometimes, and it disturbs me. When we do fashion shows at malls and the juniors’ items come out, I deliver the opposite of a parental advisory warning. I say, “If you are over the age of sixteen, look away! These clothes are not for you.”

You have to keep eliminating things that you aren’t and then see what’s left over. Most important, you should never pretend. There’s nothing harder than living life as someone you’re not,

I think people are afraid to admit to problems, because once they admit to them, then those problems become real.

I also learned that working on something you believe in and that you enjoy is really no risk at all.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gunn's Golden Rules.