Mary (BookHounds)'s Reviews > Dreaming Awake

Dreaming Awake by Gwen Hayes

Jan 07, 12

bookshelves: around-the-world-arc-tours, 2011, young-adult, arc, needs-amazon-post
Read from November 02 to 13, 2011

MY THOUGHTS
LOVED IT

*** possible slight spoilers***

Theia is miraculously recalled from Under by her besties, Ame, Donny, Gabe and Miss Varney. Varney is a psychic and plays a larger roll in this installment. He helps bring her back tthrough the efforts of Ame's newly discovered spell casting talents. Back in Serendipity Falls, Theia tries to resume her teen life, but finds her remote father even more distracted and she finds that the deal she made with Haden's mother may have even deeper repercussions than she thought possible. While the blood following through her now includes a bit from Mara (Haden's nightmare of a mother), it also includes a bit of her power. This leads to some interesting plot twists later in the story.

Welcome to my Nightmare should have been the title of this book since all of Theia's friends are now involved in her life for better or worse and they are all exposed to Haden's mother just by being her friend. Theia finds herself with a need to feed on souls like Haden and doesn't realize she is doing it until Haden discovers her unwittingly drawing upon others. Some of her classmates are suffering from some weird illness that Theia believes Haden has something to do with, while the fact that Mara has come calling on her father makes the situation even more dire. It is a severe test of time to see if Theia and her friends can help the others at school while they are all pulled Under to face their fears.

I think I actually liked this one better than the first one which surprised me a great deal since I really loved the first one. It was so nice to see Theia really come into her own after her mousiness in the Falling Under. There was less of a romance and a lot more action, some of it a little horrifying. There is a lot more Ame and Donny in this one which helps quicken the pace and add more comical elements. I really don't think I can wait for the next installlment since this one left me hanging a bit. There are some sexual situations, alcohol use and some horrifying moments, so it is best suited to teens.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreaming Awake.

message 1: by Brad (new) - added it

Brad Sells I love the covers to this series! I'm interested in checking this series out. Is it good? Thanks! :-)

Mary (BookHounds) YES! I think this one is actually better than the first one which is hard to do for a sophomore effort and second in a series.

Jenn I liked the first one. I loved Varney's character! I'm glad he is in this one more.
Can't wait to read this one

Mary (BookHounds) Jenn-- you need to read this one if you enjoyed this first! Now, I can wait for the follow up!

Jenn i am starting it right now!

Erica I'm also starting it right now!

Jenn Read and loved it!

Mary (BookHounds) I hate having to wait for the next one....

Tanya this is the last book in the series I messaged the author about another book and she replied that this the last book so disappointed

Mary (BookHounds) Oh Tanya - that is such a bummer. This has happend to me with other series. Sometimes the author is able to self publish the remainder of the series. I hope this is the case. Maybe we should nag?

Tanya yeah I know the feeling its very annoying it cant hurt to nag she has a facebook account that's how I messaged her a few years ago maybe enough people message her on facebook might convince her to write another book hopefully :]

Mary (BookHounds) I just sent her a friend request. I agree and I hope that she already has it written but just waiting to be able to release it.