Tania's Reviews > The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Oct 10, 2014

bookshelves: favorites, mythology, romance, young-adult, animals
Read from October 27 to November 02, 2011

I loved, loved, loved this book! It wasn't at all what I expected from reading the flap copy, and I enjoyed it even more because of it. It's one of the most original concepts I've read in YA fiction, and it got some of the most likeable, realistic, and appealing characters that I've ever had the pleasure of "knowing".

Much like in Stiefvater's Shiver books, the tale is told from two points of view. The two voices start out very separate until they slowly join in what turned out to be a really heartfelt and moving love story. But this isn't just a love story about two people. It's a story about the love of a family, the love of one's home, the love of one's vocation. And it's just as much about loss as it is about love, and that makes it even more meaningful.

I won't give away any of the plot here, because I feel like this book should be experienced the way I experienced it - not knowing what to expect and being pleasantly surprised.

I'm inspired by Stiefvater's skill as a writer and I can't wait to see what she comes up with next. She made the island of Thisby come alive for me - it was as much a character as any of the people or horses in the book.

And the last line unexpectedly brought tears to my eyes, so that's always a sign of a good read :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorpio Races.