Tani's Reviews > Diplomatic Immunity

Diplomatic Immunity by Lois McMaster Bujold

F 50x66
Jun 20, 08

bookshelves: 2008, scifi, female-author
Recommended for: fans of the earlier Vorkosigan books
Read in June, 2008

** spoiler alert ** Slight spoilers (although everyone probably already knows them before they even start the book) so marking accordingly...

To be honest, I was a little underwhelmed by this book. I've absolutely loved all the previous books, so this was kind of a surprise. I think I just felt like there was a lot of plot but not a lot of character growth. Sure, there's the Miles becoming a father aspect, but that doesn't happen until the end of the book. The characters all felt pretty static to me in general, and the plot only partially made up for it. Also, I really wish we could have seen more of Ekaterin, particularly after she took charge of things when Miles was ill. I guess it might have seemed a little weird since the rest of the book was in Miles' point of view, but I still would have loved to see it.

Of course, the book did have its good points. Once it got going, the plot was really interesting and I had a lot of fun trying to figure out the mystery with Miles. I also enjoyed seeing Bel Thorne again, along with the other recurring characters. And the ending was beyond adorable. This book was definitely worth the read, but it's a shame that it didn't live up to the earlier books in the series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diplomatic Immunity.