Abria Mattina's Reviews > Hollowland

Hollowland by Amanda Hocking

Oct 30, 2011

bookshelves: bought

Hollowlandwas a quick read. I became so easily engrossed in the story that I blew through all 312 pages in two days. Hollowland opens with a bang, and the bulk of the novel is spent on the quartet's tumultuous journey from one government quarantine to another in pursuit of safety and Remy's eight-year-old brother. There's no shortage of nail-biting moments here.

Hocking know how to write an exciting plot, but what really thrilled me was that her cast of principal characters--Remy, Harlow, Lazlo, and Blue--aren't stock action-hero airheads.

Remy is a woman with the weight of the world on her shoulders, trying to survive and do everything in her power to protect her younger brother. She has trouble letting people in, which in the event of a zombie apocalypse, can give her the benefit of few emotional attachments (read: unnecessary baggage). But the uninfected have to band together to survive, and this is Remy's weak point.

Harlow is a typical thirteen-year-old girl. She fixates on her peers, has a whiney streak, and almost no zombie-killing skills to speak of. She adds a dose of humor and brings out the others' protective sides.

Lazlo was a rockstar before the zombie outbreak, which struck me as really creative. I hadn't ever considered what would happen to the people we elevate in society--artists, politicians, performers. What skills do these people really have? Logically, they'd be the first to go in the event of an every-man-for-himself disaster. In Hollowland, Lazlo supplies one of the sweetest romantic interests I've read in a long time.

Blue quickly became one of my favorite characters, even though he doesn't get as much page space as the others. A Canadian med student, he's always level-headed and reliable, caring for his fellow survivors with selfless compassion. In many ways, Blue is the glue that holds the group together.

Hocking writes a great ending, and I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel, Hollowmen. If you haven't yet read this book, make it a priority.

Originally reviewed here.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hollowland.