Eric Phetteplace's Reviews > Library Mashups: Exploring New Ways to Deliver Library Data

Library Mashups by Nicole C. Engard

190361
Apr 07, 12

bookshelves: lis-web
Recommended for: web services librarians
Read from January 20 to April 07, 2012

Unfortunately, 2009 was ages ago in terms of web services so almost every chapter in Library Mashups suffers a bit. Many links are broken, such as Microsoft's PopFly (popfly.com redirects to the Bing search for popfly, in what is one of the most asinine ways to twilight a service I've ever seen), while others have substantially changed in nature, from Delicious in its new ownership to the more minor changes between SIMILE Exhibit's version 2 & version 3.0. Nonetheless, this book was conceptually valuable as well as made me aware of many tools & APIs. I would heartily recommend it to anyone who is curious about recombining data from web services for their library. Even non-programmers can get something out of the book, since many copy-paste tools or mashup GUIs are discussed. It can function as a source of ideas if nothing else, as well as motivate libraries to support or utilize some of the amazing projects out there, from LibraryThing's great APIs to open source projects like Blacklight or SOPAC.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Library Mashups.