Sarah's Reviews > Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

Mar 15, 15

bookshelves: glbt, tch-454, printz, young-adult, abe-il-award

Dante and Aristotle are two Mexican American boys who don't fit in--they're smart, have good parents, and have been raised nicely. They become best friends and stay that way, even when Dante comes out. Their love is tricky though--is it more than friendship? This is one of the best bromance books I've read in awhile and it's great to see a Latino writer breaking stereotypes all over the place!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe.

Quotes Sarah Liked

Benjamin Alire Sáenz
“I had a rule that it was better to be bored by yourself than to be bored with someone else. I pretty much lived by that rule. Maybe that's why I didn't have any friends.”

Benjamin Alire Sáenz
“And it seemed to me that Dante's face was a map of the world. A world without any darkness.

Wow, a world without darkness. How beautiful was that?”

Benjamin Alire Sáenz
“Sometimes, all you have to do is tell people the truth. They won't believe you. After that, they'll leave you alone.”

Benjamin Alire Sáenz
“For a few minutes I wished that Dante and I lived in the universe of boys instead of the universe of almost-men.”

Benjamin Alire Sáenz
“Gina and Susie were cool, though. No hint of the beer they said they were going to score. They played good girls to my parents. Not that they weren't good girls. That's exactly what they were: good girls who wanted to pretend they were bad girls but who never would be bad girls because they were too decent.”

Benjamin Alire Sáenz
“I came to understand that my father was a careful man. To be careful with people and with words was a rare and beautiful thing.”

Benjamin Alire Sáenz
“I bet you could sometimes find all the mysteries of the universe in someone's hand.”

Benjamin Alire Sáenz
“It felt like there was a whole world living inside her. I didn't know anything about that world.”
tags: love

Benjamin Alire Sáenz
“I wondered if my smile was as big as hers. Maybe as big. But not as beautiful.”

Benjamin Alire Sáenz
“I got to thinking that poems were like people. Some people you got right off the bat. Some people you just didn't get--and never would get.”