Marie's Reviews > Objects in Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear: A Novel

Objects in Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear by Katharine Weber

May 28, 08

bookshelves: europe, fiction, women
Read in May, 2008

I bought this book for 2 pounds in England, and it's been on my bookshelves for years. I read it as part of my "READ THE BOOKS YOU ALREADY HAVE INSTEAD OF GETTING NEW ONES FROM THE LIBRARY" project. (I still get books out of the library, of course, but I am doing my best to read some of the ones filling up our study.)

I liked this book more than I thought I would--it was very well written. It's the story of an American woman, Harriet, who goes to Geneva on a photography fellowship and visits an old friend. When she arrives, she discovers that said friend (Anne) is having an illicit affair with a much older man. The book starts out in the form of a rambling letter Harriet is writing to her boyfriend back home, and then it changes format into third person halfway through the book. Personally, I was much better able to relate to Harriet than to Anne (whose motivation to be with a man who treated her shabbily I could not understand at all), but I found it interesting to read about the friendship between two such different women, and how they relate to the men in their lives.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Objects in Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rosemary I have thought about trying to do that project someday, too-but I cannot walk by the library without getting another book, and then it's due so I read it..and so on forever...:) I enjoyed this book, too-especially Harriet's narration.

Marie Haha--glad someone else can relate. I am addicted to the library too!

Rosemary and next door to our library is the bakery-but at least they are both within walking distance so I get a nice walk! Katharine Weber has been fun to read this winter-she has a great sense of humor-almost Larry David like when she makes fun of things. I also loved The Music Lesson. It would be fun to meet her someday.