Shannon's Reviews > Match Me If You Can

Dec 01, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, made-me-cry, lmao, books-i-own
Read from November 30 to December 01, 2011 , read count: 1

Yet another good Chicago Stars book. I have legit loved each and every book in this series. I swear, I will never find a romance author I love more than Susan Elizabeth Phillips. I've tried, but every other author falls flat in comparision. This book had all of the usual CS stuff. There were well-developed characters and an interesting plot. Like a good romance book, it made me feel all types of emotion. It made me cry when there was heartbreak, laugh at the banter, and angry when the hero/heroine did something stupid.

I must admit though that Heath wasn't my favorite Chicago Stars male lead. No one can beat Bobby Tom Denton. I absolutely loved him in that book, so Heath had high standards to live up to. He had some charm, but it was mostly outweighed by his bad qualities. The man was obsessed with his work and self-centered. It made me laugh when he got cut down a peg by the women around him. He acted like it was super-shocking that a woman would have the up on him. Sure, he was a major tool-bag the majority of the time, but as the book continued, he started to grow on me. While it doesn't excuse his rude behavior, it was easy to see why he acted the way he did. Heath didn't have a happy childhood and it reflected in his love life. I'm not even going to lie, I was rooting for him in the end to win over Annabelle. I legit cried when he was pouring his heart out. I know he kinda brought it on himself with him (view spoiler), but it was one of those adorably oh no,too little too late moments where you wished the hero could've have his epiphany 50 pages earlier.

Gahh...there's only one more book in this series for me to read. I have no idea how I'll deal when it happens. I already have it ready to pick up from the library. Excited to see what Dean's story is like, especially with all the hinting at his bad past or whatever. Either way he sounded adorable in a cocky, clueless sort of way...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Match Me If You Can.

Quotes Shannon Liked

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“Why don't I just hand you my panties and be done with it.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“Maybe I should let my faithful manservant answer the rest of your questions, since he seems to have all the answers."

"I'm saving her time," Bodie replied. "She brings you a redhead, you'll give her grief. Look for women with class, Annabelle. That's most important. The sophisticated types who went to boarding schools and speak French. She has to be the real thing because he can spot a phony a mile away. And he likes them athletic."

"Of course he does," she said dryly. "Athletic, domestic, gorgeous, brilliant, socially connected, and pathologically submissive. It'll be a snap."

"You forgot hot." Heath smiled. "And defeatist thinking is for losers. If you want to be a success in this world, Annabelle, you need a positive attitude. Whatever the client wants, you get it for him. First rule of a successful business."

"Uh-huh. What about career women?"

"I don't see how that would work."

"The kind of potential mate you're describing isn't going to be sitting around waiting for her prince to show up. She's heading a major corporation. In between those Victoria's Secret modeling gigs."

He lifted an eyebrow. "Attitude, Annabelle. Attitude.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“I paid you five thousand instead and promised the balance only if you made the match. As it turns out, this is your lucky day because I've decided to write you the full check, whether the match comes from you or from Portia. As long as I have a wife and you've been part of the process, you'll get your money." He toasted her with his beer mug. "Congratulations."

She put down her fork. "Why would you do that?"

"Because it's efficient."

"Not as efficient as having Powers handle her own introductions. You're paying her a fortune to do exactly that."

"I'd rather have you."

Her pulse kicked. "Why?"

He gave her the melty smile he must have been practicing since the cradle, one that made her feel as though she was the only woman in the world. "Because you're easier to bully. Do we have a deal or not?"

"You don't want a matchmaker. You want a lackey."

"Semantics. My hours are erratic, and my schedule changes without warning. It'll be your job to cope with all that. You'll soothe ruffled feathers when I need to cancel at the last minute. You'll keep my dates company when I'm going to be late, entertain them if I have to take a call. If things are going well, you'll disappear. If not, you'll make the woman disappear. I told you before. I work hard at my job. I don't want to have to work hard at this, too."

"Basically, you expect me to find your bride, court her, and hand her over at the altar. Or do I have to come on the honeymoon, too?"

"Definitely not." He gave her a lazy smile. "I can take care of that all by myself.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“He grinned, and right then it occurred to him that he hadn't enjoyed himself so much with a woman in a very long time. If Annabelle Granger were a few inches taller, a hell of a lot more sophisticated, better organized, less bossy, and more inclined to worship at his feet, she'd have made a perfect wife.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“I think this is the way love feels to people like you and me. Threatening and dangerous. We have to be in control, and love takes that away. People like us… We can't tolerate vulnerability. But despite our best efforts, sooner or later love seems to catch up with us. And then…And then we fall apart.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“She gestured toward his very fine chest with her pencil. “On the off chance I find out after we’re married that your declaration of abiding love and devotion has been an elaborate con job perpetrated by you, Bodie, and Scary Spice…”

He massaged her arch. “I definitely wouldn’t lose too much sleep over that.”

“Just in case. You will give me all you worldly goods, shave your head, and leave the country.”

“Deal.”

“Plus, you have to hand out your Sox tickets so I can burn them in front of your eyes.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“She's as plastic as you are. If you ever have kids, they'll come out of the birth canal with Fisher-Price stamped on their butts.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“You're not having sex with him. I know these guys, and you don't. I'm trusting you with Claudia Reeshman. You need to trust me about Dean Robillard."

She wouldn't let him off that easily. "You're looking for a wife. Maybe I'm just looking for a little fun."

"If you need fun," he shot back, 'I'll give you fun."

She was stunned.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“If another woman had been around, this would never have happened."

"Whatever you're trying to say, just spit it out."

"Come on, Heath. I'm not blond, leggy, or stacked. I was the default setting. Even my fiance never said I was sexy."

"Your ex-fiance wears lipstick, so I wouldn't take that to heart. I promise, Annabelle, you're very sexy. That hair..."

"Do not start in on my hair. I was born with it, okay. It's like making fun of someone with a birth defect.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“Are you saying...I was your icebreaker?"
Those honey-colored eyes darkened with concern. "Tell me that's okay with you. I know your emotions weren't involved, but still, nobody likes to think they've been taken advantage of."
He unclenched his teeth. "And that's what you did? You took advantage of me?"
"I wasn't, you know, picturing him in my mind last night when I was with you or anything. Well, maybe for a couple of seconds, but that's all, I swear.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“What the hell did magic wands have to do with helping girls learn math and science? He'd been good at both. He could have helped them with math and science. Weren't these girls supposed to be building skills? Screw magic wands. He'd have handed out some fucking calculators.”

12/01/2011 page 166
show 1 hidden update…

Ngaio I love this seres! :)

Shannon Agree! Too bad there's only one more book left and then it's over. Gahh...the world needs more Chicago Stars stories :(