Pauline's Reviews > Jinx

Jinx by Meg Cabot

Jun 28, 08

bookshelves: contains-drug-use, contains-swearing, read-2008, reviews, young-adult-fiction
Read in June, 2008

“I nodded. I don't think I could have spoken if I'd wanted to. Not because my cousin had just tried to kill me. But because Zach had rushed down to rescue me without remembering to put a shirt on."

This quote sums up the mood of the book, teenage girl gone crazy for good looking boy, but with a bit of witch craft thrown in. Jean also know as Jinx due to her dreadful luck is about to have her blood spilt and drank by her cousin Tory and all Jean can think about is the fact that her rescuer is not wearing a shirt.

Jean and Tory are descendents of a great-great-great-great grandmother who had been a powerful witch who was burnt at the stake. Before she died she prophesied that one of her descendants would possess the powers of a powerful witch.

Bad girl Tory wants the power to be hers, but when she realizes Jean has the power and does not want to join Tory's play coven Tory is bent on destroying Jean.

It takes an agonizingly long time to find out why Jean has come from Iowa to live with her Aunt and Uncle's family in New York, but eventually all the details are provided, though it is fairly easy to guess that Jean had cast a spell that backfired.

Younger teens will probably enjoy this book, but it definitely is cheesy in plenty of sections. Jean just cannot help gushing over good looking Zach who is Tory's next door neighbor and love interest. Zach, however, is interested in Jean and not Tory, so this creates even more conflict between Tory and Jean. In the end all is well and the good witch wins over the bad witch.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jinx.