Michael's Reviews > The Source

The Source by James A. Michener

Oct 29, 11

Read in October, 1974

I have mixed fond and not so fond memories about "The Source." I am a huge Michener fan and have read all of his books. "The Source" is at the top of my Michener list along with "The Drifters." I started "The Source" in 1974 when I was visiting Israel, the subject of the book. Part of my visit included a bus tour of Israel. I was delighted to read about a place, then reach the actual site of which Michener was writing. The problem was that, about the time I arrived in Israel, I developed a serious case of "Nebuchadnezzar's Complaint" (the middle eastern version of Montezuma's Revenge). There was a serious lack of toilet paper on the tour and I had to read as fast as I could to keep the supply of usable paperpack ahead of the need to make use of it in a manner not consistent with that intended by the publisher. The novel was over a thousand pages and I had to read really, really, really fast, finishing the book in about three days. I have repurchased the "The Source" (the original is no longer extant) and intent to reread it at a more enjoyable pace.
16 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Source.