Beth's Reviews > Prophet's Prey: My Seven-Year Investigation into Warren Jeffs and the Fundamentalist Church of Latter-Day Saints

Prophet's Prey by Sam Brower

F 50x66
Oct 27, 2011

Read from October 20 to 22, 2011 , read count: 1

This is one of the few books that I think “everyone” should read. It’s an exhausting, harrowing look at the inside workings of cult leader Warren Jeffs and his FLDS.

The author’s credibility is unimpeachable. Brower worked as a private investigator for seven years on behalf of FLDS members who were kicked out of the church and on behalf of attorneys filing claims against the FLDS. He became friends with some of the former members, and he recalls past cordial working relationships with church members. He had regular run-ins or was able to interview many of the key players in the endless legal battles surrounding the church. Brower was in close contact with local police, state investigators, and the FBI during the course of his investigations.

This evidence illustrates how a criminal enterprise can claim freedom of religion to control an entire town and parts of two states. “Short Creek” straddles Utah and Colorado, yet was (and still is?) controlled by the FLDS. Readers will ask the same question Brower asks: “How could this go on under our own noses?” Brower lived only an hour away and had no idea this was happening until he was asked to investigate.

Prophet’s Prey is not easy reading as far as its subject matter goes, but it is extremely well-written. Sentences flow smoothly. Events unfold with enough detail to read like fiction but enough documentation to show that, sickeningly, it all happened – and likely still is happening. Brower provides names, dates, locations, and even photographs.

I wish every citizen, voter, and taxpayer would read this book. In Prophet’s Prey, Sam Brower gives us a backstage pass to a real-life creep show.

Read my full review at breathlovereadlaugh.blogspot.com.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prophet's Prey.

07/17/2016 marked as: read