Janice's Reviews > The Persimmon Tree

The Persimmon Tree by Bryce Courtenay

Jul 20, 12

bookshelves: world-tour-challenge, read-in-2012, audiobooks, historical-fiction, love-the-cover, ylto-rainbow, 5-star-books
Read from July 08 to 20, 2012

Finally! I have found a book to break the 3-star slump I seemed to be in.

I have found a new author and new narrator. Bryce has a lot more novels to discover, and Humphrey Bower brings many of them to life with his fabulous command of accents.

The story has a little bit of everything. It is a romance, but not a mushy tale, of two young people separated by war when the Japanese invade Java. Nick sets sail for Australia expecting to meet Anna there. Anna, gets caught behind enemy lines and learns to do whatever she needs to do to survive. Nick, because of his command of the Japanese language is recruited to Intelligence in the Navy and stationed at Guatemala Canal.

Will they survive the war, and if they do, will their love for each other survive?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Persimmon Tree.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Have your read The Power of One, by the same author. I think it is kind of YA and that is what puts me off. But maybe it is sort of autobiographical also. Well, I have top read something by him. I will read your review. How is it so far?

Janice This is the first book that I've read by Bryce Courtenay. I've barely started The Persimmon Tree, and my initial response is favorable.

message 3: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Good to know. I have just purchased the audiobook The Power of One. So many praise it, and I must try this author. The narrator is suppose to be excellent.

Jenna Mills I always enjoy his books. once you've read 'The Power of One', and it's sequel (just as good), 'Tandia', you MUST read 'April Fool's Day'.

message 5: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Horrible about his illness statement.

Janice I finished Fishing for Stars which is the sequel to The Persimmon Tree and it was very good as well. I will read more of his books, including The Power of One.

Yes, it is sad that Bryce Courtenay is so very ill.