Stacy's Reviews > Until I Find You

4208115
Nov 13, 11

bookshelves: 2011, ru, audio
Read in October, 2011

On audio books in general
The first audio book I have ever listened to. And besides the plot, characters and actions in the book, for the first half of the book I couldn't answer question - whether I like audio books or no. The discussion was hard. As minus points there are - necessity to follow every word said and try to remember details (as you do not have chance to turn some pages back and look up who was who or something like that and it is not comfortable at all to repeat the track not knowing which minute it was), nonbeing of visual material, i.e., text, in front of you (mostly I am visual kind of person, i.e., I remember visual picture of the book and even how the page looked like where was the detail I am looking for, so receiving information only by means of audio is not the best way for me). Is there any need for positive points? Most probably - no. Still I have chosen to pick up some more audio books because it is really comfortable to listen to them in public transport (which is full during morning and evening hours) and you do not have seat in it to get out from your bag a real book. The same could be told about walking around or running on some business when some time could be used for reading in audio manner.

About the book
Not the best of Irving's writing.

Story
Jack's (actor) life from the childhood to adulthood where he finally finds answers for a lot of questions and quandaries of his life. For almost the whole book readers are told the story which eventually becomes false. It becomes clear how viewpoint and influence can change the understanding of reality - events stay the same, but the change of viewpoint turns the picture upside down.

Focus
I had an impression that sex was the main focus here, it was too much for me. Really. Sometimes I became sick of all sexual scenes. Sex as overwhelming idea and central element of the story - preferences are different, maybe someone will find this necessary part of the story and will understand it better.

Characters
Cannot say anything much about them. However, the protagonist is too passive to my mind, he just takes everything that goes, and everyone around is supposed to help him...

Some more words
This story was positioned as autobiographical. Really hope it is not. Otherwise, I fell sorry for the author and his life.

To sum up
For throughout fans of Irving.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Until I Find You.