Kristen's Reviews > Fifty Shades Darker

Fifty Shades Darker by E.L. James

Oct 27, 2011

bookshelves: favorite-hero, 4-star, continuing-story, mediocre-prose, trilogy

This is a review for the overall story—all three books

1st book - 5 stars Loved it!
2nd book - 4 stars Liked it a lot!
3rd book - 1 1/2 to 2 stars Huge disappointment. Big old mess!

I read the online version of this story. I loved it until the story "jumped shark" (went down hill) in what will be the third book. I can only hope the author takes the time to make some huge plot changes and releases a better third book than what she produced for her online version. It was such a disappointment to what could have been a fantastic romance! It did have a fabulous epilogue. I'll give it that.

January 20, 2012 update: Like many readers, I have waited with anticipation for the release of the third book in the Fifty Shades trilogy. Now that it has arrived and the weaknesses in the plot and editing were not addressed as I had hoped, I find myself disappointed and surprised. The author's obvious air of indifference and complacency in not keeping the quality consistent for her third book and releasing it without any real changes from the online version is difficult to understand. The fact that she had ample time to improve her work not only for herself but for her readers shows a certain lack of professionalism that I have come to expect in an author. I, for one, will not be reading any future books by Ms. James.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fifty Shades Darker.

Leslie You know, I really enjoyed the first book, even though I wondered how I would like reading about the BDSM lifestyle of Christian Grey. Book 2, believe it or not almost had too much sex (and I'm not a prude by any stretch), and I found myself sometimes skipping over all those CONTINUOUS scenes!! Book 3 was better and I liked the ending...although by then, I was ready for this series to be over. Book 1 was by far my favorite and honestly, most series books leave me loving just the 1st book...with the excpetion of Gabaldon's Outlander series. :)

Kristen This series should have been two books and the epilogue. I agree with you about the sex. For me, if a book has too much sex, that says to me the author doesn't have much of a plot and is using sex as a filler for good dialogue and an intriguing storyline.

Leslie Great point! I agree, the series could have been much shorter, although I do think this author is one to watch in the future!