Debbie I Heart YA Books's Reviews > The Stillburrow Crush

The Stillburrow Crush by Linda Kage

Dec 01, 11

The Stillburrow Crush started off with a sweet chic-lit contemporary storyline. I said, okay, this is really cute. With the rich jock quarterback and the poor girl who falls for him . . . But halfway through this novel, Linda Kage throws me a fantastic curveball, and one heck of a powerful storyline. Linda Kage’s writing is one that sneaks up on you, and I found myself biting my nails and crying my eyes out. I Love Kage for that kind of surprise attack. The Stillburrow Crush is a short read, but Linda Kage delivers a powerful story in this short read, with some of today's most important situations teenagers find themselves in. Linda Kage is a very talented writer and I’m definitely going to be reading more of her novels.

Carrie grew up in the small town of Stillburrow, where the people judge your worth by how rich you are. When Carrie starts to crush on the town’s rich, hot jock quarterback, she wants to slap herself, because she knows Luke is never going to have the same feelings for a social low-class like her. Carrie’s right about Luke at first and Luke will have to figure out what means the most to him.

I also love Carrie's brother, Marty, who is twenty-two and is considered a loser. Marty has been seeing the high-class principle’s daughter, Abby, who is a year older than Carrie. What happened between Marty and Abby really broke my heart and it also gets this judgmental town to start thinking about what their teaching their kids.

The Stillburrow Crush was an awesome surprise that I just wasn't expecting for such short story, but I love when novel can surprise me. I highly recommend The Stillburrow Crush.

4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stillburrow Crush.