Tilly Slaton's Reviews > The Laughing Corpse

F 50x66
Dec 30, 2011

bookshelves: reviews-completed
Read in December, 2011

This book took my by surprise!

I have read it twice now, and there are parts that are still heart-wrenching.

In the second book of the Anita Blake series, The Laughing Corpse rips you from reality and tosses you unexpectedly into a world of voodoo, betrayal and forced submission.

Following the first book, this begins centered around Anita Blake and her job as an animator as well as the consulting work she does for the paranormal police division that investigates homocides that are obviously performed by something other than human.

The murder scenes are quite gruesome. I found myself continuing to hold my breath while my heart pounded in my chest. Almost saying to myself .. “Oh nono please ..” And reading as quickly as possible to find out if what I was dreading would be true.

Anita is confronted by an old voo doo priestess that scares the living hell out of anyone nearby, and even those whom feel they are unreachable. Safe. Unfortunately, sleeping in bed, quietly and feeling safe, relaxed .. the nightmares can still find you. Death can still come crawling through your windows.

The twists of betrayal, and sudden insights of a friend that leaves Anita unsure if the friendship will continue. Other friends are forced into life or death decisions, forced to consider crossing their moral lines of what is and what is not acceptable.

The end of the book was somewhat rushed, and as climatic as it was .. I was left wanting. Cliff hangers are a wonderful thing I suppose, but I wanted more. I wanted so much more than what the ending offered me.

Kudos to the author, I’m 1/4 into the next book

I recommend this read to anyone interested in bloody and gruesome books that are centered around the paranormal and the slight progression of possible romantic relationships.
10 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Laughing Corpse.

04/29 marked as: read