Joy (joyous reads)'s Reviews > Starters

Starters by Lissa Price

Mar 19, 2012

liked it
Read in March, 2012

This was a very befuddling book. The plot, the world, the characters had me at odds with myself. In the end, the book straddled the line of brilliance and unrealized potential.

It started with a spores war.

Teens for hire.

Thrill seeking seniors, er Enders.

Brains for hire, plug-ins, a faceless man intent on taking over the world.

Technology and Science had fallen into the hands of a greedy corporation.

It's the perfect recipe for a great read, in my opinion. Sadly, it didn't deliver.

The world building in this book lacked a certain cohesiveness necessary to marry the destroyed dystopian world and the rich, lush environment of the wealthy. It was hard to imagine how the Enders had been able to keep up the resources that they have when the world, as they know it, pretty much ended when the spores war began. I still can't quite understand why the government is dead-set against employment of teens. I mean, if they truly wanted to stop the "unfriendlies" from stealing and wreaking havoc in the city, then, wouldn't it make sense to employ them? I'm just sayin'. I'm a big fan of dystopian but I'm a bigger fan of logical story lines.

On the other hand, I think Lissa Price conceptualized a very valiant heroine in Callie. The girl never lost her focus throughout the story. She wasn't one of those gullible characters who accepted things quite easily. I loved the relationship between her and her little brother as well the friendships she's developed in the book. The faceless, evil man was a very credible antagonist. Ms. Price did a wonderful job on giving him that air of malevolence and mystery.

But honestly though, what kind of world has seniors running around looking for the next thrill? It just seemed too far-fetched to me. And tell me again how in the world were we able to extend their life expectancy up to 150 to 200 years old? Mexico built a wall. Uhm, spores. Airborne. Yep. How does that protect them? Okay, I get that they didn't want the migration of affected Americans, but again. Spores. Airborne. Senator Bohn. He just came out of nowhere. They needed a political backer so, voila! He appeared at the last few pages of the book. *strokes imaginary beard* How convenient.

Anyway, I hit the swiss cheese jackpot here, folks. I had more questions than answers. It doesn't necessarily make me want to read the next book eagerly but I think I'll read it anyway just to see if all those questions will be answered.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starters.

03/15/2012 page 87
03/18/2012 page 213
58.0% "I am back and forth with this book."

Joy (joyous reads) So far, yeah :)