Kris's Reviews > How to Save a Life

How to Save a Life by Sara Zarr

Oct 29, 2011

bookshelves: contemporary, books-reviewed

Review copied from original post at Imaginary Reads!
I could have read this book forever, if Sara Zarr only had more to tell. The imagery is so stark and vivid, the characters so filled with such raw, pent-up emotions, that my heart bled for them as I read this book. I haven’t been in either girl’s position before—and I hope that my parents both live long lives—but both girls are entirely relatable. That goes to show Sara Zarr’s genius skills at building characters.

Mandy and Jill are two girls searching for their place in life. Jill has grown distant and rebellious since her father’s death, and she isn’t very thrilled (a huge understatement) by her mother’s decision to adopt the unborn baby of a perfect stranger. She wants to find the old Jill—the good Jill from before her father’s death. On the other hand, Mandy never knew her father. She’s an insecure girl and eight months pregnant. While she knows who she isn’t, she’s having trouble finding the real Mandy. Both are learning to cope with their unexpected situations and to open their hearts.

How to Save a Life is about finding peace and gaining confidence in oneself. While there are love interests, this book isn’t centered on romance. The focus is on the internal struggles that Mandy and Jill must conquer to find peace with themselves. I love this book and recommend it to those of you who enjoy books about individuals searching for their personal identities. I’m definitely be looking forward to more books by Sara Zarr!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Save a Life.