Connie's Reviews > The Teeth of the Tiger

The Teeth of the Tiger by Tom Clancy

Nov 03, 11

Read from October 27 to November 02, 2011

THE TEETH OF THE TIGER by Tom Clancy was 12 cassettes and approximately 18 hours long. It was narrated by Stephen Hoye. This book was from Books On Tape.

Brief Description:

A man named Mohammed sits in a café in Vienna, about to propose a deal to a Colombian. Mohammed has a strong network of agents and sympathizers throughout Europe and the Middle East, and the Colombian has an equally strong drug network throughout America. What if they were to form an alliance, to combine all their assets and connections? The potential for profits would be enormous-and the potential for destruction unimaginable.

In the Brave New World of terrorism-where anybody with a spare AK-47, a knowledge of kitchen chemistry, or simply the will to die can become a player-the old rules no longer apply. No matter what new governmental organizations come into being, the only truly effective ones are those that are quick and agile, free of oversight and restrictions . . . and outside the system.

Way outside the system.

In a nondescript office building in suburban Maryland, the firm Hendley Associates does a profitable business in stocks, bonds, and international currencies, but its true mission is quite different: to identify and locate terrorist threats, and then deal with them, in whatever manner necessary. Established with the knowledge of President John Patrick Ryan, "the Campus" is always on the lookout for promising new talent, its recruiters scattered throughout the armed forces and government agencies-and three men are about to cross its radar.

The first is Dominic Caruso, a rookie FBI agent, barely a year out of Quantico, whose decisive actions resolve a particularly brutal kidnap/murder case. The second is Caruso's brother, Brian, a Marine captain just back from his first combat action in Afghanistan, and already a man to watch. And the third is their cousin . . . a young man named Jack Ryan, Jr.

Jack was raised on intrigue. As his father moved through the ranks of the CIA and then into the White House, Jack received a life course in the world and the way it operates from agents, statesmen, analysts, Secret Service men, and black ops specialists such as John Clark and Ding Chavez. He wants to put it all to work now-but when he knocks on the front door of "the Campus," he finds that nothing has prepared him for what he is about to encounter. For it is indeed a different world out there, and in here . . . and it is about to become far more dangerous.

I loved the narration of this book. I am not sure that I had ever listened to Stephen Hoye before, but he did an exceptional job with the different characters in this book. I felt like he was in the room reading me the story.

I thought this was a bit wordy, but I still enjoyed all the people in the book except for the bad guys and they were really, really bad guys so it was easy to dislike them. There was one thing that kept confusing me though and that was that the twins had the names of Enzo and Aldo too. If you were reading you could probably remember who was who, but when listening sometimes it was a little difficult to tell.

This story could have been happening in real time as the terrorism threat seems to be ever present in the United States and the fight against it. Every time that I finished a tape and then watched television, I could almost put the two things together. I thought it was very good except for being a little long. It gave too much of the training aspect of it for the twins or just a wee bit too much background. I still don't think that was bad, I just like a book to move a little faster is all.

I am giving this 4 out of 5 stars. This is my second book by Mr. Clancy that I have read and I loved that one too. I might have to get some more of these for my MP3 player because I enjoy listening to this type of book.

This book is available from Amazon in all kinds of media.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Teeth of the Tiger.

10/27/2011
10.0% "I am listening to this one by Books On Tape."
10/29/2011
20.0% "This is very good so far and the narrator is doing a great job of reading the book."
10/31/2011
50.0% "I have not really made it to the meat of the story yet and that is a little off putting. I am hoping it gets better in the next half. I have way too much background information here."
11/02/2011
90.0% "I plan to finish this one today."
show 2 hidden updates…