Cat's Reviews > The Initiation

F_50x66
Oct 29, 11

bookshelves: fiction, paranormal, series
Read from October 27 to 29, 2011

This series is yet another teenager finding her destiny. And whilst I connect the dots a mile away, I fell into the story. The dialogue and the writing made it easy to envision the story and I found the characters fleshed out well enough. I worry that there are too many characters involved -- 12 to make the circle -- but Smith has done a good job defining each group and each individual within that group.

The story is about Cassie who travels with her mom back to her mom's home town -- New Salem; she is a junior in high school and has to deal with the stress of moving states, moving schools, and being a teenager with no friends in a new place. She soon encounters The Club and becomes ostracised by her peers and teachers -- started by all around bad girl Faye -- until Cassie befriends Diana.

We find out that The Club is more than just a group, it is more than just the original founding members of the town. The Club are the descendants of the original Salem witches who moves to (and established) New Salem. Their descendants all have powers but need a circle (basically a coven) to protect and balance themselves. They need 12.

The story isn't great -- but then it is geared towards a younger audience and keeps with that throughout. I found myself desperately turning the pages for more. This was to be my commuting book to read on the train to and from work, and I found myself still reading at home and on my lunch break.

There are plot holes and there are some eye-roll moments, but all in all I wanted to keep reading. I wanted to see what happened next.

It has romance, it has 'mystery', and it has enough to make you want to pick up the next book and see where The Club goes next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Initiation.