Carolyn (Book Chick City)'s Reviews > Karma Girl

Karma Girl by Jennifer Estep

Dec 24, 12

bookshelves: romance-paranormal, book-list-2011, reviewed-by-carolyn
Read from November 01 to 05, 2011

Originally posted on Book Chick City. 7/10 on the blog.

"Karma Girl" is such a fun book - I really enjoyed it! I haven't read a paranormal romance with superheroes before, and I thought it was fresh and original. I loved the storyline and the characters. The awful cover you see above does absolutely nothing to portray the entertaining, quirky and original story inside - in this case it's definitely don't judge a book by its cover!

Our heroine is Carmen, a very likeable and relatable character. She's real, with every day insecurities and worries about herself physically, and the direction her life is heading. Occasionally she became a little bit too insecure and whiny in the latter chapters, but overall she's a fun vibrant woman who is flawed, compassionate, understanding and caring.

After being cheated on by her boyfriend with her best friend, as well as finding out they are two of the town's superhero's and übervillain's, Carmen decides to take revenge on all the superheroes in Bigtime by revealing their secret identities. But one day everything comes crashing down when one superhero commits suicide after being outed. Of course Carmen feels dreadful and blames herself.

The book skips a few months from this point. Carmen is still a reporter but she's now covering the social scene of the rich. It's not a job she particularly likes but she's happy to just blend into the background after what has happened.

One night she meets superhero, Striker. Ahh, Striker... gorgeous, hot, sexy - basically delicious enough to eat, but also strong, caring, loving... *swoon*

But despite loving both Carmen and Striker, it's here that you have to suspend your disbelief. There are many similarities to Superman. We all know who Superman is but Lois doesn't because Clark wears glasses! It's the same with Striker. He has very distinctive coloured eyes and voice, which Carmen comments on all the time, but she never makes the connection to Striker's true identity. As long as you don't take this too seriously (as we all didn't with Superman) then you will find this book bundles of fun.

The descriptions of Striker from Carmen are great at first as they give us a wonderful impression of how utterly gorgeous Striker is, but after a while the same expressions became repetitive. Every time she came face to face with Striker she would notice how well his leather superhero suit fitted his amazing body...

There is also quite a bit of telling rather than showing, especially when it came to Carmen's investigative skills of finding out the superhero's identity. Sentences such as "I worked feverishly for the next two days" were used a bit too often. It would have given more depth to story to see exactly what she did and how she did it.

There are only a couple of scenes where we see the superheroes do there thing, fighting the übervillains. Personally, I would have liked a bit more superhero action. I really enjoyed seeing the Fearless Five fight against the Terrible Triad.

It would have been good to see Carmen do a bit more reporting on the actions of the superheroes too. There's no explanation as to why there are superheroes and übervillains or why there are so many of them in one place. Bigtime is full of them, which made them not as unique and special as they should have been.

VERDICT:

Overall "Karma Girl" is a fun, entertaining read with likeable characters. A little repetitive in places but nothing a bit more editing couldn't fix, which would make it a much tighter story and give more depth to what is essentially a terrific book. Estep has a fabulous writing style, which is smooth, easy to read and totally absorbing. I loved all the other characters and I hope each one will be given a turn in telling their story. I'm really looking forward to reading 'Hot Mama' the next book in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Karma Girl.