Reddwhine's Reviews > No Place Like Home

Oct 26, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: for-my-book-club
Read from November 08 to 11, 2011

I selected this for our book club because the author is a local to our area. I am not a big fan of "chic-lit" or romance novels so I was pretty skeptical as to whether I would like this or not. I did. With certain reservations. In reading the first 1/4 of the book I was beginning to wonder if I should be playing the drinking game...you know, every time she mentions that she and her father haven't spoken for 20 years, I belt one down. But no, I read this completely sober. My point is that "we got it" after the 20 years was mentioned about 5 times. No need to keep repeating the fact. Point is, this book could have used some serious editing. Some of her fru-fru descriptions bothered me, "buttery sunsets" and the like were kind of over the top. The story was mildly interesting but I didn't ever get to the point where I liked any of these people and cared what happened. I didn't really ever know or understand the protagonist...yes she was a rebel when she was younger, from a large, conservative, judgemental Italian family, but so what. If it hadn't been for a book club discussion I probably wouldn't have finished it...actually I probably wouldn't have started it to begin with. I wish I'd liked it more because I like supporting local talent but I just didn't.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Place Like Home.

07/19/2016 marked as: read