Diana (Offbeat Vagabond)'s Reviews > Infinity

Infinity by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Review posted here: http://offbeatvagabond.blogspot.com/2012/01/book-review-infinity-chronicles-of-nick.html

Infinity is about a 14 year old teenager named Nick Gautier. Only due to Nick’s smarts is the reason he is going to a very prestigious and very expensive high school. Unfortunately, Nick and his mother are seen as the trash of the town by both the students and the teachers, all of who are trying their best to have Nick kicked out of school. But since times are tough for him, Nick goes out with his friends one night on a run. His friends go overboard and Nick tries to be a hero only to have his friends turn on him and send him to the hospital. And this is where everything changes for Nick. He finds out all those make-believe stories about vampires, demons, and zombies where actually true. As a matter of fact, the town soon gets taken over by zombies and it is up to Nick and his quirky friends to save everyone.

Oh my goodness, this is one of the best series I have ever read. Everything I could ever want in a Young Adult series was right here. Nick Gautier was one of the greatest leads I have come across. He is smart, witty, courageous, and downright hilarious. His love for his mom, Cherise, almost brought a tear to my eye. I love that he isn’t some bratty teenager, he is grateful for everything she does for him even if it doesn’t seem like much.

Besides Nick and his mom, the side characters in this book were so incredible. All of them were bursting with amazing personalities and it was hard not to love them. I am a huge Simi fan. She has to be the most adorable demon in the world with the world’s biggest stomach even though she looks like a model. But she will make you smile. I loved Bubba, he may be the very definition of a redneck (a redneck who loves to watch Oprah), but he is super smart and not as crazy as he may seem. Nekoda, the love interest, is definitely more than she seems and I like her. I am very curious of her story because she knows more than she is letting on. I really loved Kyrian as well. He respects Nick because he is so street smart and really is quite a godsend to him and his mom. Even if Kyrian is the one who has really brought Nick to the world of the Dark Hunters.

The plot of this book took me by surprise. Not only do we have a zombie invasion (that starts in the most insane way, you won’t believe it even though this is a fantasy book), but we also have another plot about Nick’s “other family”. Nick finds out he has an uncle named Ambrose, from his dad’s side (dad in jail for murder, by the way). But we soon find out Ambrose has a big secret and is working fast to fix things because if he doesn’t, Nick will destroy everyone he loves. I won’t spoil you, but it is a good one. Man, Kenyon how do you do it?!

Overall, this is an amazing read. Don’t really have any complaints at all. I will say though, if you are a fan of Kenyon’s Dark Hunter series and think this is a PNR series, you are mistaken. This is more of a spinoff from the eyes of a 14 year old. And I really like that because it can stand on its own. This is a YA series that is great for everyone especially boys. Kenyon really wrote this with a teenage boy’s brain involved and it made it feel very authentic, if that makes sense to anyone. And if you are a fan of audiobooks, get this one in audiobook format. Holter Graham did such an amazing job narrating this book, as I said before, I think I am in love. Infinity has its dark moments, but this book is full of exciting characters, action, and laughs. So if you want an incredible and fun read, I recommend this to you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Infinity.

10/26/2011 "Oh my goodness! I am loving this right now. Listening to the audiobook version and I think I am in love with Holter Graham. So incredible!" 3 comments