Tara Hall's Reviews > The Wolf Gift

The Wolf Gift by Anne Rice

Oct 26, 2011

bookshelves: arcs
Recommended for: Classic Anne Rice fans, Supernatural Romantic Suspense fans, Philosophical Readers
Read from January 14 to 19, 2012 , read count: 1

Getting an advance copy of this book has been the highlight of my year so far. If I could give this six stars, I would. The master of dark, enrapturing fiction has returned! This book is classic Anne, gorgeous original mythology combined with rich, realistic characters. She's also thrown in thrilling action scenes and heartbreaking philosophical discussions. This is not a book to be missed.

As she did with vampires in Interview with the Vampire, Anne has captured the original symbol of the werewolf as an exploration of the dual nature of humanity: the spiritual, moral being and the savage wild animal. But her wolves are neither romanticized nor truly evil. They are instead very realistic, even scientific at times. They are tragic and heroic, as varied as any real community would be. By the end she has presented a unique creation myth to match the dual beauty and savagery of the werewolf, and thrown in just a dash of the erotic as well.

Our main character, Reuben, undergoes a transformation of character just as dramatic as his transformation of body. It's fascinating to watch him evolve from a young, naive boy into a mature, reflective man. He has the depth of character that only Anne can create, taking you on this journey with him. The character of Felix Nideck, introduced early on but only through the conversations of others, manages to be just as real, even though he's never actually present. And his house, Nideck Point, has almost as much character as the First Street house of The Witching Hour.

As much as I adored this book, there were a few small things that might have been improved. I wish that Laura had more character development. Perhaps that is to come in a sequel, but for now I am left a bit wanting, waiting to get to know her truly. There's also a bit of an "information dump" at the end of the story, after the climax and resolution of the main plot, where the origin of werewolves is explained and personal relationships are further developed. It seemed a bit detached from the rest of the book to me, but nonetheless fascinating. Surely this is set up for the next book.

That is not to say that you should not go buy this book immediately upon release, because you should! Delicious prose, engaging characters, unbeatable ambience and atmosphere, and a unique take on werewolves set this book up to be one of the best.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wolf Gift.