Pauline's Reviews > Ill Wind

Ill Wind by Rachel Caine

Oct 26, 11

Read in October, 2011

At last, after wading through stories of vampires, werewolves, angels, demons, and all other mythical creatures there are, "Ill Wind" comes along as a breath of fresh air. The characters in the books are Nature-wielders (my own-term), meaning they control certain elements of Nature: fire, earth, water. They are bunch of mortals with extra dollop of magic.

I like how Ms. Caine managed to combine magic and science in this book. Science explained the hows of the magic. Really cool stuff. Makes the magic seems all so logical and plausible. Made me want to become a Warden really, really bad.

For an entertaining book, it is also quite frustrating. From page one, I was dropped smack in the middle of the story. I have no problem with that at first. I understand that keeping something from a reader is what authors should do, but come on. Being strung along with no clue being dropped is frustrating and teeth-grinding. What happened to Joanne? As the pages flew and things happen, I keep on reading with the goal of finding the answer to that. The feeling is not so good. And when the answers were given, twists happened.

If you want something that is out of the usual stuff wordsmiths have been doing nowadays, pick this up. I just wish that the book did not end so fast and felt hurried in the end. Ms. Caine started so strong. I wish she was able to sustain it until the end.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ill Wind.