Shomeret's Reviews > Three Cups of Deceit: How Greg Mortenson, Humanitarian Hero, Lost His Way

Three Cups of Deceit by Jon Krakauer

Oct 28, 11

bookshelves: biography, my-reviews
Read from October 26 to 28, 2011

OK, I'm now totally over Greg Mortenson. In some ways, the title is too generous. Judging from some of what Krakauer writes, Mortenson didn't lose his way. He was never a match for the heroic image that he's spent so much effort and other people's money to maintain.

Jon Krakauer is a responsible journalist. I've never read his work before, but he documents his claims in this book very well. So I find him much more credible than Mortenson who must be a sociopath if he honestly feels that he hasn't done anything wrong. Krakauer was taken in by Mortenson himself and he's written this book in hopes that it will prevent people from being taken in by him in the future.

What bothers me most are the "ghost schools"--schools that Mortenson has built that are standing empty because he never hired teachers, trained them or provided funds for supplies and books as he claimed to have done. Instead he spent the money promoting his books and keeping them on the bestseller list. It's a crying shame!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Cups of Deceit.

10/26/2011 page 22