Steve lovell's Reviews > All I Ever Wanted

All I Ever Wanted by Vikki Wakefield

3219987
Oct 26, 11

Read in October, 2011

This is a fine debut novel from a writer with a knack for portraying engaging characters, most rough on the outside but with the ‘right stuff’ caged internally. The journey in this book, from start to cusp of climax, was excellent as, like a more sombre version of ‘Weeds’, our hero copes with growing up in a drug dealing dysfunctional family with little hope, so it seems, of crossing over those symbolic tracks. Mim is, as Fiona Woods notes in her blurb caption, ‘tough and sweet and true’, as, to varying degrees, are her mates Kate, Lola and Tahnee. The story rips along as Mim stays one step ahead of her enemies, avoids (just) the possibly terminal intentions of an odious would-be love interest and keeps a patently unsuitable mother at arm’s length. But all is not quite as it seems.
The climax is a tad confusing and a little over-baked with the denouement rather cheesy and too pat, but Wakefield’s tome will undoubtedly appeal to many a young lady with its brevity and subject matter.
It is encouraging that publishing houses, despite the gloomists, are prepared to give our youthful writers a chance. Here we have a new find who has much potential, and from my limited reading of other newbies, the future of writing for the ya market is in capable, competent and, in some cases, exciting hands.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All I Ever Wanted.