Julia March's Reviews > Ashes

2003130
Oct 26, 2011

bookshelves: young-adult
Read from October 26 to November 02, 2011

This is by far the best YA zombie book I've read yet. The main character Alex is a very strong, confident female character (a rare occurrence in YA) and I found her very easy to relate with. The zombie "apocalypse" Bick created is completely believable and realistic which was very refreshing. Bick also created fantastic characters within this world that I found easy to love, hate, and attach to. I absolutely loved this book up until about Chapter 40. After that Alex becomes yet another annoying teen girl who can not do anything for herself and is unable make the tough decisions required of her. And we also see the beginnings of yet another love triangle (cause we really need another one in YA). But, Bick did restore some of my faith in Alex at the end when Alex makes a tough decision (although with some serious, intense pushing from other characters but still Alex went through with it). And I have to say one of the biggest reasons I liked this book was because the characters, especially Alex, have real issues. Not "Omg I'm a ________ (fill in the blank with some supernatural creature)how am I gonna survive this with supernatural powers to protect myself. Alex has real life issues that many people deal with on a daily basis.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashes.

10/26/2011 page 93