Jo's Reviews > The Kraken's Mirror

The Kraken's Mirror by Maureen Betita

Nov 14, 11

bookshelves: fantasy-and-science-fiction, romance
Read in October, 2011

Okay, I don't read a lot of "Romance" as the genre just doesn't do much for me, but the reviews on this were good and I was intrigued because it featured older characters than the norm -- my age group. It's always nice to see a book that realizes that our sex life doesn't die at 50 (or before)! ;) The book is a cross between fantasy and romance, but doesn't have a lot of depth or complexity as either. The main character got on my nerves with her body issues, and all that crying. She wasn't portrayed as a weak woman otherwise in the minimal character development the book allowed, so it didn't really fit other than to play to stereotypes of older women that I could have done without. I usually read in the fantasy genre and love character driven books with a lot of character growth. For me, the book was light on world-building and the characters didn't seem all that well developed. The sex scenes were hot but I need more from my books. Since the other reviews were so good I kept reading, waiting for it to get good, but it never got there. At least its a fast read.

Every other review I've seen on this book on any site has been 4 or 5 stars, so I'd guess this is just me. If you like Romance, with portals to other times/worlds (1697 Pirate Caribbean with ships, bars, voodoo -- and with refrigerators and I-pods), and a passing reference to vampires and zombies, you'll probably like it since so many others have. It just didn't do it for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kraken's Mirror.