Aubrey's Reviews > The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

Oct 29, 2011

Read from October 27 to 29, 2011

I can sum this book up in one word: FUN! But I can't leave you at just one word.

Without Flavia this would not have been quite the book it is. Alan Bradley created a really unique character with her! She's probably one of my favorite characters now. Flavia reminds me of Lisbeth from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Granted, they are COMPLETELY different characters but when they are present they make the books great. I would have loved to have been as inquisitive and intelligent as Flavia as a young girl. She's just so likeable that she could have said or done anything and I would have ate it up.

The storyline was fun. I needed just that, a book that is just straight fun. You know, no powerful message (which I do love) but just pure enjoyment. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I will be moving on to the next in the series!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.

Comments (showing 1-10)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Sophie I really enjoyed this book. I hope you do too. The second one is fabulous and I've got the third on my to read list. Apparently the fourth will be out soon, if not already.

Aubrey I've only read two chapters and am enjoying it so far! I saw the fourth book and it reminded me that I have to read the first. I didn't want to put it down and look forward to diving into it tomorrow.

Sophie I wished I'd been Flavia as a young girl. Glad you are enjoying!

Aubrey I wish I had too!

message 6: by Sophie (last edited Oct 29, 2011 08:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sophie Good review. Exactly how I felt. And Flavia can be such a brat! Love that too. Lipstick! Need I say more? LOL

Aubrey Ha ha! She can be a brat but in a very intelligent and conniving way; I kind of like that about her. :)

Sophie Me too! Her brattiness is intelligent and not petty. I still haven't read the third one. Maybe in November my budget will allow it. :)

Aubrey Why not borrow it from the library? No budget needed then. I'm on a tight budget and so I get all of my books from libraries. :)

Sophie Yes I know, libraries are the very best! But I have serious mobility issues and it's often difficult for me to get there. I do borrow books from the digital collection because I can do that online. It's just that so far the digital selection is limited. But your comment has inspired me so I might just surf my library website tonight. Have a great evening!

Aubrey I understand. That is a bummer that their digital selection is limited. I hope that it improves! Have a great evening yourself! :)