Chamera's Reviews > Mark of the Seer

Mark of the Seer by Jenna Kay

Mar 21, 12

bookshelves: books-read-2012
Read from March 15 to 19, 2012

If you've followed me in some form for quite a while, you know that when it comes to YA paranormal I prefer them in a realistic world, and I prefer them with angels. My angel obsession gets the best of me every time. With Jenna Kay's Mark of the Seer, there is no exception. I love when an author manages to put a different twist on my favorite sub-genre of novels, and Kay does just that! Mark of the Seer is 270 pages of intrigue. It is filled with demons, angels, and Biblical Seers, humans who receive visions from God. Another fact that I like about this novel is that while religion is included it the novel, it doesn't mold into the realm of YA religious novels, because that is not what it is. It is a book in which the paranormal aspects revolve around religious concepts, such as Heaven, Hell, and angels. The angels in this novel are mainly guardian angels and their presence throughout the novel excited me. I only wished to see more of them, though it seems that will happen in an upcoming novel.

As for the characters, Clarity Miller is a great protagonist. She is portrayed as a normal, temperamental teenaged girl, who can be somewhat annoying at times, but not in a way that is superbly aversive. She is a character who has seen hardships and who you root for, even when you feel she is making a bad decision. Another thing that I liked about the novel was that it isn't a paranormal romance. There are definitely paranormal aspects to this novel, and there are definitely romantic aspects but they don't control the plot of the story. The author found a way to create an enjoyable novel without having to use the ever present teen girl falls for an angel (which don't get me wrong, I love... a lot), and without including a love triangle. Brenton, Clarity's boyfriend is sweet and lovable, her best friends are crazy but in a good way, and Nick is adorable.

At points, the dialect used in the novel became a bit bothersome for me, such as the use of "ya" instead of "you", but I must admit that the use of wording appeared for the appropriate characters and setting. All in all, Mark of the Seer was an really good book, and I look forward to the rest of the series. I recommend this to anyone who likes YA paranormal fiction, or anyone who is hoping to give the genre a try.

4 out of 5 stars!

Review for Mera's YA Book List
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mark of the Seer.