Chad's Reviews > Pedagogy of the Oppressed

Pedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo Freire

This was a chore to read. Either the original writing is in a style lacking art or the translation from Portuguese either has issues or the translator lacks.

Beyond what makes for an unpleasant read, many of the ideas in the book are obviously for another time and place (1960's Brazil) and presenting an idealogy that has not only failed miserably in every attempt but has actually seen some of the most oppressive regimes in history (Soviet Union, Khmer Rouge, North Korea, Maoist China and more). One has to wonder if Paulo would still hold on to these ideas with the full knowledge of 20/20 hindsight or potentially make excuses for each and every inclusive instance of Socialist failure.

There are some nuggets of interesting thought or ideas. I particularly like and agree with the notion of 'deposit banking' education. We can see the failure of this mode of education in our own American system where sadly teaching critical thinking is something reserved for college level courses. Another nugget was "This is because welfare programs as instruments of manipulation ultimately serve the end of conquest. They act as an anesthetic, distracting the oppressed from the true causes of their problems and form concrete solution of these problems. They splinter the oppressed into groups of individuals hoping to get a few more benefits for themselves", a passage that I believe aptly describes one of our current American political parties in how they go about gaining public support. Of course, I am sure that Paulo would disagree with this if he was still alive but his observation was still accurate in exposing the progressive movement in America.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pedagogy of the Oppressed.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Murphy Hey if you want to read one that is short and sweet. More geared to American education and current times. Read " A Thomas Jefferson Education" They are in the same vein without all the communistic manifesto

Marie I couldn't agree more with you if I tried.