Alex is The Romance Fox's Reviews > Eight Days To Live

Eight Days To Live by Iris Johansen

Synopsis:
Number-one New York Times bestselling author Iris Johansen delivers a thriller that will chill you to the core: Eve Duncan’s adopted daughter Jane has been targeted by a mysterious cult who has decided that she has only eight days to live

Eve Duncan and her adopted daughter, Jane Macguire, are pitted against the members of a secretive cult who have targeted Jane and have decided that she will be their ultimate sacrifice. In eight days they will come for her. In eight days, what Jane fears the most will become a reality. In eight days, she will die. It all begins with a painting that Jane, an artist, displays in her Parisian gallery.

The painting is called “Guilt” and Jane has no idea how or why she painted the portrait of the chilling face. But the members of a cult that dates back to the time of Christ believe that Jane’s blasphemy means she must die. But first, she will lead them to an ancient treasure whose value is beyond price.

This elusive treasure, and Jane’s death, are all that they need for their power to come to ultimate fruition. With Eve’s help, can Jane escape before the clock stops ticking?

My thoughts:

Eve Duncan has found a way into my heart from the moment I read The Face of Deception,, the 1st book in the Eve Duncan Series and I have become very attached to her and her family – I have seen her pain, her loss, her determination to find the body of her murdered daughter, Bonnie, and comforted in knowing that her relationship with Joe Quinn, which started in friendship has grown into love and them being together.
Eight Days to Live, the 10th book in the series is Jane Maguire’s story and what a fabulous protagonist she turns out to be. The adopted daughter of Eve and Joe, she is now an up and coming artist, who has matured into a headstrong ,complex, beautiful, unpredictable and independent woman who just seems to draw mystery and intrigue into her life.

From the first sentence - “She was laughing, Jack Millet thought, enraged. Even as Jane MacGuire had left the sidewalk café a lingering smile had remained on her lip” - I was so into the story that I couldn’t put the book down.

The plot is intriguing, fast paced, filled with characters both good and evil, artifacts from the time of Jesus, incredible settings, romance, murders, mysterious religious cults that have you wanting to keep reading and reading.

Jane has an exhibition of her paintings in Paris which will result in her and her friends and family being targeted to die by a mysterious group called Sang-Noir (I have to admit that at times the similarities between the fanatical quasi-religious group did remind me in a small way of Dan Brown’s Da Vinci Code). It’s one of her paintings, Guilt, that she had dreamt about that will cause her to unravel the mystery in eight days before she’s captured and used as a human sacrifice in some kind of Judas fanatics.

It becomes an incredible journey for Jane. Helping her is MacDuff, who lives in a castle in Scotland and believes she’s related to him, Jock Gavin with a very close connection to her and Seth Caleb, the mysterious, gorgeous and intriguing “hunter” who she first met when he helped Jane with a case in the previous book, Blood Games. It becomes such an incredible path for these three, joined by Eve, who is ultimately used as bait, Joe helping in the background, Millet, who has to be one of the most evil characters ever, Lina, translator of ancient writings and friend of Seth . You recognize the characters you have met along Eve’s journey and have grown to know and love.

Travelling from England, Scotland, Switzerland, Syria and Israel, into mystical and biblical places, discovering what may be a relic that could cause controversy to the Catholic faith, the paranormal mystery is revealed making you realize that you had been holding your breath for a very very long time. At times the plot moved so fast that I felt a sense of unreality. What will happen next? I kept asking myself. How will they get out of this situation? Yes, Seth & Jock helping Jane ensured that she would not be the sacrifice for April 1.

I loved seeing the growing relationship between Seth & Jane. He has fascinated me from the first time I met him. Who is he? What’s his story? I am so eager to know more about him and how he and Jane will be together – yes she still has commitment and trust issues – but the dream sequence at the end…omg…it was so fabulous and so incredible.

I found Lina a very interesting character and somehow I think that we will have more of her and what I felt was something growing between her and Jock, who I really have grown to love. He’s such a beautiful and I think flawed character but I see a real deep soul there.

This is another page-turner in the series and I absolutely loved it and I do hope Jane will continue in Eve’s life.

Iris Johansen has been and will always be one of my favorite authors and I can’t wait for her next book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eight Days To Live.