Lynn's Reviews > Room

Room by Emma Donoghue

Nov 19, 11

bookshelves: will-read-again, kindle
Read in November, 2011

This book really impressed me. It sounded like the kind of book I wouldn't have patience for...being written from the perspective of a five year old. Usually books written in dialect (or in this case, the speech of a young child) really wear thin on me, but the author's skill was masterful here. It truly felt believable, and not annoying. Donoghue was excelled at subtly moving the story along with little clues in the dialogue that sometimes went over Jack's head, but would leave you wondering about what other things Jack and his mom have endured.

I found myself reading it on a ride home right as the book reached its climax and ended up standing in my kitchen for a half hour with my coat still on because I had to know what would happen next.

I don't want to give too much away, but despite a subject matter that sounds dark and depressing, it's actually a very enjoyable book with a hopeful ending. I think this will be going on my re-read list.
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Room.

amber I agree wholeheartedly on the "written from a child 's perspective" thing. I'm amazed by how well this was done in this book. I was sad when it ended...the characters were SO compelling.