Rachelle's Reviews > The Book of Joe

The Book of Joe by Jonathan Tropper

Nov 09, 2011

bookshelves: book-i-would-recommend, fiction
Read from October 26 to November 08, 2011

Joe Goffman is coming to terms with the fact that he just might be an asshole. He is forced to return to his hometown of Bush Falls, when his father has a stroke. His homecoming is slightly complicated by the fact that during his 17 year absence, he wrote a bestselling novel bashing the town and everyone in it. Oh yeah and then the book was turned into a movie… Needless to say the town isn’t too happy to see him. On the upside, Joe’s return home reconnects him with his best friend from high school and his ex girlfriend.

Throughout the story, we learn the events that made Joe hate this town. However more importantly, we see Joe start to fight his asshole tendencies and connect with people again.

I love Jonathan Tropper. He creates these great antiheros who are flawed and damaged and loveable. You root for Joe. You want things to work out for him. Also, Tropper crafts great stories from normal events. Nothing seems improbable or too large. Even the slightly overly dramatic moments come off as touching and vital to the story.

Although this book deals with some heavy material, its approached with levity and a sense of humor. I both laughed out loud and tried to hide tears from the other people sitting in Barnes and Noble. I still like This Is Where I Leave You better, but this is still a great read.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Joe.

Emily I bought this one, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet!

Rachelle I just finished Domestic Violets and it was so similar to This Is Where I Leave You that I HAD to pick up a new Tropper to read but I couldn't remember which one you read.

Emily I read Plan B which was kind of a disappointment. I'll have to check out Domestic Violets if it was so similar!

Rachelle You really have to read Domestic Violets! Its really good. So far Joe isn't as cool as TIWILY