Simon's Reviews > One Shot

Oct 26, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fiction
Read in October, 2011

The first few pages were painful. Lots of self-consciously terse sentences as if worried about scaring off slow readers. A sample from page 13: "The garage was always packed. He knew that. That was why they were extending it. They were doubling its size. It was used by shoppers. That was why it was quiet."
But soon things pick up and the plot moves along swiftly and smoothly. Reacher is a bland but likeable protagonist, notable mainly for being a loner and an expert investigator, but you wouldn't want to have to make conversation with him. The climax is exciting but I felt that the ending tied things up a little too neatly and the villain gave up a little too easily. Reacher explains to him how he'd done it and I half expected the reply "And I'd have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!" And I think the actual conspiracy as described is a little convoluted and unconvincing.
For me the Zec's flashbacks to Soviet Russia were the most powerful sections, and I'd have liked more of that kind of background.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Shot.