Leslie Zunker's Reviews > The Franchise Affair

The Franchise Affair by Josephine Tey

5861939
Nov 18, 11

Read from October 26 to November 13, 2011

My favorite line so far: "For two people who are beating terms, we are distressingly ill acquainted." While Inspector Alan Grant plays only a minor role in this book, I liked it even so. The characters are nicely developed, my favorite being Mrs. Sharp whose line is quoted above. She had several other hum-dingers. However, I had a couple problems with the plot - that two slightly down-on-their-luck-through-no-fault-of-their-own but otherwise apparently respectable women would kidnap and abuse a stranger to be their maid; that they were ostracized (and also abused) by the town because, to the best of my understanding, they lived in a house behind a gated wall and didn't seem to care nor try to fit into society; and that there was no clear reason for the kidnapped girl to tell such a story as she did. I can understand that she wanted to engage in a tryst for a bit of adventure but I have a hard time buying the "cause" of it - because she was adopted? Like that was supposed to make her innately bad? Maybe these issues wouldn't really be issues for me if I had read the book when it was first originally published, in 1949.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Franchise Affair.