Matthew's Reviews > Orcs: Forged for War

Orcs by Stan Nicholls

1975413
Oct 28, 11

bookshelves: adult, action, fantasy, graphic-novels
Read from October 26 to 28, 2011

A decent fantasy comic with a small twist: the heroes in this one are the Orcs while the bad guys are the humans. While Orcs are represented as a race always looking for a fight, mankind is trying to take over everything and draining the world of all it's magic, eventually making it unlivable for most of the other races. Lots of great details in the backstory to this world, enough that I want to give one of the prose novels a try at some point. But the actual plot of this one is pretty thing and predictable. Good fight scenes, though, with some pretty nice middle ages-style tactics thrown in.

Art-wise very nice. Good details, well-handled action and colors that really pop on the page. My only complaint about the art is that there are A LOT Of orcs in this title and many of them look the same. Aside from a couple of main guys I found myself getting confused a lot as to who was who. I understand making their faces similar, but some other detail----tatoos, runes, weapons, something----is really needed to help make these guys distinguishable from each other.

Unfortunately, I read this after reading James Stokoe's fabulous title Orc Stain. While Stokoe's book plays with some of the same ideas, his version takes some more risks and really delves into the way Orcs think in a way that's deeper and richer than what I see here. I hate comparing, but I know I probably would have rated this higher if hadn't read Orc Stain first.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Orcs.